My Grand Adventure Part 1 of 3 (maybe 4)

Friday, February 4, 2011


Bread. I've done it somewhat right before. And I've done it horribly wrong. But I've never really gotten a good loaf of bread. It's time to try again. I got a book about artisan bread and did some reading. First, bread needs exact measurements. And it's hard to get that with a measuring cup.


 Behold! Perfection. This recipe for basic french bread calls for 680 grams of unbleached bread flour.


 Also, 14 grams of salt.


7 grams of yeast. Which was exactly one package. Funny how that works out, isn't it?


And 454 grams of lukewarm water. Now here's where I had to guess a little. I hope the water was warm enough/not too hot.


Dump it all in the bowl and beat on the mixer's lowest setting with the paddle attachment for 1 minute. Let it sit uncovered for 5 minutes. (You could clean up the mess you made to make the time go by!) Switch to your dough hook and turn the mixer on medium low speed and let it knead the dough for 2 minutes.


Jack did an awesome job. Pour the dough out on a floured surface and knead by hand for 1 minute. I love this part.


Pretty round ball of bread! Put it in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let it sit in your refrigerator overnight.

Bread makes me crazy because it just seems SO SIMPLE. But it's not. This French bread is to go with a special dinner for tomorrow night!

Hang on tight kiddies, the crash and burn potential for this one is sky high!

0 comments: